DRWV BOARD MEMBER
Ralph H. Baxter Jr., Esq.
Senior Advisor, Thomson Reuters Legal
Chairman of the Advisory Board, Thomson Reuters Legal Executive Institute
DRWV Board Member
After leading a prominent global law firm for a quarter century, Ralph Baxter has turned his attention to a diverse set of activities, across the spectrum of the evolving legal profession. He aims to be a catalyst for progress in the way legal service is delivered.
He collaborates with law firms, legal technology companies, and corporate law departments on their strategies and execution. He is an active writer and speaker, including participation in law firm partner meetings, about the imperatives for change, the specific changes that are under way, and how the participants can make change happen. He also participates actively with organizations that study and promote innovation in the legal profession.
A partial list of Mr. Baxter’s current activities:
- He is a Senior Advisor to Thomson Reuters Legal and Chairman of the Advisory Board of Thomson Reuters Legal Executive Institute.
- He is a Senior Advisor and member of the Advisory Board of the Stanford Law School Center on the Legal Profession.
- He is a Fellow and Senior Advisor to CodeX, the Stanford University Center for Law and Informatics.
- He is a member of the Advisory Board of the Harvard Law School Center on the Legal Profession.
- He is a member of the Advisory Board of the Center for the Study of the Legal Profession at the Georgetown University Law Center.
- He is a member of the Board of Directors of Intapp.
- He is a member of the Advisory Board of Ravel Law.
- He is a member of the Legal Advisory Board of Legal Zoom.
- He serves as a private advisor to a select set of law firms.
- He serves on several public interest boards in West Virginia.
From 1990 to 2013, Mr. Baxter served as Chairman and CEO of Orrick, leading Orrick’s progress from a domestic firm with California origins to become one of the world’s leading global firms. He launched numerous transformative initiatives during his tenure, including the creation of Orrick’s Global Operations Center in Wheeling, West Virginia, and changes in the firm’s talent and pricing models.
Mr. Baxter received his BA from Stanford University; his MA in Education from the Catholic University of America; and his JD from the University of Virginia.
Before his career in law Mr. Baxter taught the sixth grade at the Scott Montgomery Elementary School in Washington, D.C.
Mr. Baxter’s recent writings and interviews can be accessed on his website www.ralphbaxter.com and he can be followed on Twitter @ralphbaxter.